The Blue Sky Fibers Pemberton Pullover Knit-Along has begun! We have 20 knitters signed up to work on their sweaters together with Northfield Yarn. Here’s a roundup of resources for KALers.
- Post pictures of your finished sweater in the Blue Sky Fibers Ravelry KAL to be entered to win a prize from BSF!
- Chat, show your progress and ask questions in the Northfield Yarn Winter 2021 Make-Along Ravelry thread.
- Join our weekly online Open Stitch sessions to work on your sweater in company. Cynthia plans to bring her Pemberton to Thursday sessions, but you’re welcome to join on Friday and Saturday too!
- For one-on-one help with your sweater, book an online Knit Clinic appointment.
- Get BSF Woolstok at Northfield Yarn.
Cynthia will be knitting along and sharing her progress as the KAL progresses. Here's her first update!
Choosing a needle size
I swatched on US 7s, as the pattern suggests, using Woolstok in Morning Frost. That one was just a fraction of a stitch smaller than the pattern gauge, so I also swatched on a US 8, to see what the fabric was like, thinking that I would choose a size based on the gauge I liked better.
The US 8 swatch was a bit too loose and floppy for my liking, and when I re-measured the US 7 swatch it seemed right on gauge, so I’m charging ahead with the US 7.
Choosing a size
My understanding is that an average fit sweater is 2” - 4” larger than actual body measurements, and an oversized sweater is 4” - 6” larger. The Pemberton is intended to be oversized, so I am looking for a size that will provide 4” - 6” of ease.
I follow Amy Herzog ‘s advice and base my sweater sizing on my upper torso measurement, rather than bust measurement. My upper torso is 38”, so I am going to make the 43-3/4” size (the S).
I’m looking forward to knitting with y’all!